[SCCC] 160M residential lot antenna

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Feb 1 21:27:55 PST 2011

Yes and no. I can't count the number of times that I've had DX with loud
or modest signals CQ in my face on 160 meters even when Iwas running
legal limit to a decent antenna. The man-made noise levels in many urban
DX locations can be horrendous (I get the feeling it is particularly bad
in Asia) and thunderstorm static in the tropics can be equally brutal.
Every dB of ERP you can squeeze out on transmit will eventually pay
dividends on 160 meters. Of course, sometimes your the guy with the
horrendous QRM in which case having a good receive antenna will pay the
dividend. The best of both worlds is to have a 4-square on a mountaintop
like W6RJ :-)