[SCCC] Contest Skimmers

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 06:53:10 PST 2011

Thanks, Tim. That is the point. For most of us out here in CA, taking spots from all the US skimmers is like drinking from a fire hose, and those skimmers do not share our propagation. When I am contesting assisted I use VE7CC User (which has an easy to use graphic interface to set up filters, both PASS and REJECT) and have it select only W6 and W7 skimmers (which right now  = N6NC, WA7LNW and KC7J) which show spots actually heard with our propagation. Those spots are then telneted directly to my N1MM band maps through the N1MM telnet window.

I also keep a second monitor running with two open windows: the running stream of all VE7CC spots (with the State or Country information column activated), and the filtered skimmer spots telnet window of N1MM. That way I can watch to make sure the skimmer spots are flowing properly into N1MM, and also monitor all the unfiltered VE7CC telnet spots to find a missing MULT (like VY1, or SD in SSCW) or country, which are shown in the VE7CC information column.

73, Larry N6NC