[SCCC] Copper Paste

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Sun Jun 12 09:36:35 PDT 2011

Apply it the same way as you did the Penetrox (inside the joint).

Yes, silicone grease is a dielectric.  So is the petroleum-based
carrier in the Penetrox.  The silicone material is more inert and
doesn't disappear like the petroleum-based stuff will do, leaving the
unprotected particles of other material in there.

If you looked at the aluminum surface with a microscope, after prep,
you would of course see a rough landscape of bumps and grooves-- not
smooth.  When the two surfaces are mashed together tightly with a
hose clamp, and a screw added, don't worry-- plenty of the high spots
are going to mate up with other high spots, regardless of the
presence of the dielectric, and make contact.  That is the series of
multiple contact points from which we are trying to eliminate the oxygen.

The various 'conductive pastes' are ok in the short term, but
eventually the carrier deteriorates and we are left with oxidized
particles of other material in there, and it's probably no longer
conductive.  In the long term, this is bad news.

IMHO....

--Glenn K6NA