[SCCC] ARRL Proposed rule changes

Ray Benny rayn6vr at cableone.net
Sun Jun 19 12:32:01 PDT 2011

I have been reading the inputs and arguments about the proposed changes to
the ARRL scoring and Single Op time limits.

First, I do like the idea of counting distance for QSO points, it
helps eliminate the regional location advantage. The one problem, as pointed
out by Dave, AB7E, there would be no County multiplier. If there were, it
would again favorite the East Coast or Europe. Also pointed out as a
positive, distance scoring would give the casual PY/LU and ZL/VK operators a
greater incentive to work another W6 or W1. I don't quite agree with
the idea that this change decreases the incentive for the US not to work
a XE or a Central America station when one could be running Asia or Europe
instead. Propagation changes during the day, so that at times we would be
pleased to work anyone, including Central America. This is where a County
multiplier would be beneficial, but again, how to include it and not favor
a certain region, needs to be considered.

As for SO time limits, I would favor two limits. One as is: the full 48
hours for those that can do it, and another, say between 30 - 36 hours for
those who cannot or don't want to.  I think the 30 - 36 hour limit entries
would be much greater than the 48 hour entries. We all know the reasons why
one does not enter the full 48 hours: health, stamina, family commitments,
work, TVI/RFI, etc. In the end, it will be interesting to see how the
difference in 40 vs. 36 hours contrbutes to a SO score.

These are my views from a long time West Coast DXer. I do remember the days
in the late 50's & 60's when the West Coast did win some of the ARRL DX
competitions. I think we lead the way with some really big stations, and of
course, we had the best propagation of all times.

Ray,
N6VR