[SCCC] Results of the 1973 CQ WW WPX contest?

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 19 15:51:59 PDT 2011

This is a long shot, but would anyone happen to know where I could find
a copy of the results of said contest - the phone portion?
CQ has the contest log archive online, but it goes back only to 1975.

I was stationed in Japan at the time, and a few of us ventured down to
Marcus Island (now Minami Torishima) for the contest.
We were the only KA1 prefix on the air, back when those callsigns were
issued only to military personnel in Japan.
Unfortunately, we had a lot of QRM from the JA stations, who we weren't
allowed to contact under the terms of our Air Force-issued callsigns and
privileges.

The US Coast Guard had a LORAN station on half of the island, and they
were our hosts.
The other half of the island supported a Japanese Self-Defense Force
weather station.

Good times!

73 de Jim - AD6CW (KA2JL at the time)