[SCCC] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB HP

W6ph at aol.com W6ph at aol.com
Mon Nov 28 11:53:45 PST 2011

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA

160:   14     8        7
80:  221    20       51
40:  420    30       97
20:  330    34      100
15:  394    33      109
10:  429    31      102
--------------------------------------
Total: 1807   156      466

Total Score = 3,170,334

Comments:

Single radio, CT-DOS, Field Day antennas on 55 foot masts.

IC-7410 - AL-1200, MA160V. 80m slopers, 40-2CD, 20m 3el yagi, 15m 5el yagi,
 10m 3el yagi on 40-2CD boom.

No Murphy arrived.  Everything worked well.

I thought conditions were not as good as CQWW SSB although activity made up
for
it.  Ten meters started closing about an hour earlier and I didn't
experience
the great transpolar 20 meter night propagation that we had during the SSB
weekend.  Very little propagation to northern Europe on 10 meters.  Fifteen
meters
closed shortly after 10 meters leaving only the Mediterranean stations to
work.
Stations on 20m during the day had a weak auroral sound to them but were
workable.

I may lose some QSO's because of time differences in the logs while waiting
for
the station that I worked to identify himself so I could enter his call
sign in the log.
C91NW and 8P5A identified after every contact and both had a distinctive
sound
to their code.  9L0W also identified on every contact.  I listened to HI3A
identify
on every third contact which I think is reasonable.  But some guys would go
on
and on signing "TU".  And when they finally signed their call, it would be
taken
out by QRM.  I have special thoughts for these guys and it isn't nice.

All my operating was S&P except for the few hours when I ran the Asian crowd
formerly JA's but now with China stations participating.  The S&P rate was
almost as good as trying to run here in California and there were a lot of
multipliers to be had.  Late on Sunday I spent my efforts in making 100
countries on all bands.  I came close.  J6M was my 100th country on 20
meters three minutes before the finish.  Twenty meters was the place to be
for multipliers during the last hour of the contest.

These DX contests are very compulsive.  I have often wondered how a sane
adult
could sit in front of a radio for an entire weekend and find it fun.  Of
course my
definition of sanity may be two standard deviations from the accepted
normal
datum.

73, Kurt, W6PH