[SCCC] ARRL CW Sweepstakes Strategy

Jim Price jnprice at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 23 23:25:39 PDT 2011

Tim et al - I've done SS, off and on - sometimes seriously, sometimes not -
for most of my 45+ years of ham radio.  I have never owned an amp, and over
the years I've been either LP or QRP.  So, I'm not used to being a big gun.
My current set up is an IC-746 barefoot to a 4-el SteppIR, 2-el on 40, and
an 80-meter inv vee, all at 60 feet.

For me, I want to start on the highest band that's open.  There's a pretty
good chance that 10 will be good this year (it certainly was for CQP).  And
if not, 15 should be great.  My general strategy has been to stay on the
highest frequency band until it starts to close (or you run out of stations
to work).  Yes, 20 is a 'money band' but the QRM is horrible - especially on
SSB.

Even with LP it's possible to get a run going.  SDG is certainly not a rare
section, but early in the contest it's another one that everyone must work,
so I've been able to hold a freq. for an hour, sometimes two.

Wait until way after sunset to move to 40.  The East Coast guys are all
working each other frantically and it takes a while until we left-coasters
can get a run going.  [the strategy when you're on the East Coast is to
"stay on 40" - almost from start to finish.  Not so out here, obviously]

I've never been able to get any rate going on 80, BUT it's important to go
there and work all of the CA sections - and you may need to work NV, AZ, and
other 'local sections' on 80 as well.

I generally stay up until there's essentially nothing happening on either 40
or 80 - maybe 1 or 2 a.m. local.  Then, if I'm doing the whole 24 hour
thing, I'll get back on the air around sunrise.  There's usually some stuff
to work on 40, but as soon as 20 opens, let 'er rip.  And with recent condx,
just follow the band openings up to 15 and 10 later in the morning.

Then you have to decide if you're going to be in the Unlimited category or
not.  Any more, making a Clean Sweep is not that difficult.  It's much
easier if you're Unlimited, but the last couple of years I've had a Sweep by
early Sunday morning - just being an 'A' class (low power) entry.  Then it's
just "crank 'em out" until you reach whatever goal you have set.

For me, making 1000 Qs (on CW) and a Sweep is about as much as I can ever
expect.  I generally end up with more like 800 or 900 Qs and 150K points.
Sometimes that's good enough for a Section award, sometimes not.

It used to be the case that SCCC asked members to 'pledge' a score, but that
hasn't been done for some time.  When I would make at least a semi-serious
effort, I'd 'pledge' 100K points, and work however long it took to get
there.  And if I had the time/inclination, I'd go for more.

As to the coffee cups - they aren't mailed until after the contest results
are published - sometime in the Spring.  I have quite a few of them, but
then I'm a 'collector'  [just ask my wife!]

I really enjoy SS (and Sprint, and I'm warming up to NAQP) because with a
modest station it's possible to do pretty well.  I just set a goal, based on
how much time and energy I can devote to it each year, and try to meet that
goal.  When the 80th section is in the log, it's "whooppee" time!

Cheers / 73 / GL - Jim, K6ZH

P.S. and I pretty much agree with what KR6X has said - he's a bit more
'state of the art' than I am in terms of using available on-line tools!