[SCCC] NAQP SSB N6HC SO1R LP

N6hc n6hc at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 10:23:43 PDT 2012

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August 2012

Call: N6HC
Operator(s): N6HC
Station: N6HC
Club: Southern California Contest Club
Class: Single Op LP (SO1R)
QTH: ORG
Operating Time (hrs): 8.75

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   75    26
   20:  466    56
   15:   81    26
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  622   108  Total Score = 67,176

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

Greetings & salutations to my fellow contesters.  I reluctantly agreed to
participate part-time in this contest after being baited by Tim (N6WIN) to join
in the fun.  Then he assigned me to SCCC#1 and gave me a target score to
achieve!  Talk about pressure :>)
As mentioned in other postings, ten meters was DOA.  Fifteen was pretty
non-productive initially but picked up later in the competition when most
everyone else was on to 20 or 40 meters.  So I made this almost a single band
contest and knuckled down to business.  I ignored trying to maximize my score
and tried to maximize my QSO rate on 20 meters.  I was able to move the needle
to a rate of 240/hour at one point!  When twenty played out, I moved to forty
for the last hour of operation and then hung up my microphone after exceeding
the target score. Running 100 watts on twenty SSB is a chore as you try to
compete with the guys running high power, DXers chasing the latest expedition,
rag chewers who have an entitlement mentality for their net frequency, and your
fellow competitors all squeezed into a finite spectrum.  Needless to say, I was
blown off of a run frequency too many times to recount.  I marvel at the
stations that I worked and said that they were QRP.  Life's too short for QRP!
Thanks for all the Qs.  See you from NH8S (Swains Island) next month.  Good
luck.  Arnie N6HC