[SCCC] ARRL 160m CW

RGrubic at aol.com RGrubic at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 16:25:41 EST 2012

Contest: ARRL 160m  CW
.
Call:  NC6Q
Operator(s):  NC6Q
Category: Single Op  Low Non-assisted
Station: HOA  restricted QTH of NC6Q
.
Club: Southern  California
Contest Club
.
CW       5           4
------------------------------------
Total:    40  points
.
Simple  Station:
Kenwood TS-50
N1MM logger
Rain gutters & indoor attic dipoles
.
Comments: This was to  be a learning/re-grouping contest experience from
the start—going at things at a  slow pace. I planned to use N1MM logger for
the first time in a real contest.  Spend some time getting to know it better.
Nice. I have used N3FJP for several  years and it too is very comfortable
and friendly—a good logger.
.
radiating adequately or even at  all! I just couldn’t be heard--even with a decent
ground connection. S-9 + noise  just ruins things. Thank you to those few
ops who did manage to work me (in NV,  LAX, AZ, ORG)! The rain gutters were
noisy and I couldn’t even hear many  signals. When I switched to my attic
dipoles, the noise was reduces and the  signals were louder and workable, but I
couldn’t transmit on those dipoles. (I  tried!) I even tried shorting the
center conductor and the shield of the coax  going from the shack to the
attic dipoles (100 ft of it) and tuning the whole  thing as a random wire with
some big capacitive hats (the dipoles!). It all  loaded up okay with the
versatile MFJ-969 tuner (under 1.2 swr), but I couldn’t  get heard. I figure I
had a good tuned dummy load in the whole configuration,  but couldn’t get
out. The coax run snakes through the house, all indoors from  the bottom floor
up three floors and then up into the attic. That 160 meters is  a strange
band. Oh well, spent some good hobby time  learning.
.
73,Bob,  NC6Q