[SCCC] N6WIN 2012 ARRL FD 1E LP

Milton Garb n6mg at verizon.net
Sun Jul 1 11:57:45 PDT 2012

Tim, Glen et al,
I totally agree with Tim's operating scenario and Glenn's comments.
I'm a member of the Los Angeles County Disaster Communications Service,
which is administered by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
We're individually assigned to generally the closest Sheriff's Substation.
I've sat down and plotted out how I can get there, (Walnut Substation)
without going over a freeway overpass, or under a freeway overpass.
Guess what? It can't be done, either by car or bicycle! Going to the hills?
If I can't get 1 mile down the road, how can I get to the hills?
The scenario of going to the hills in an emergency is out of the question.
Having the ability to operate at home on antenna's ranging from a J-pole to
yagi's, on battery power, is a very realistic Field Day rehearsal.
Maintaining that status for up to 72 hours or more is another challenge.
Milt.
N6MG