[SCCC] Sleepstakes - WN6K SOLP

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 00:19:18 EST 2012

I discovered a way to avoid the Sunday SS boredumb::   Visited a local
winery on Saturday afternoon with XYL and some friends, then had an early
Thai dinner out.

So started the contest on 80 meters Sat night.  By midnight, 280 Q's and 63
mults using LP in the "UL" category -- almost all on 80 as I couldn't find
a spot on 40.   Pileups were exquisite with rates often 70-90.

On Sunday I slept late and started about noon, commencing a 15m run of 508
continuous Q's  on the same freq. I uttered the words "CQ-ss" only three
times in 5 1/2 hours.   Thus the average Sunday afternoon rate was about 80
Q's/hr under almost continuous and massive pileups.  Finally went to 40 in
the last couple hours, where rate was slightly lower but pileups continued
for about an hour.

The result was 900 Q's in about 13 hours --142,200 points; about equaling
my 2004 LP SF record but with just over half the operating time.

However this was a special year, and SF was as rare as hens teeth (whatever
that means).   Most of the big-time SF ops either lost interest, were on
travel to VK for the eclipse, or in one case had to devote time to a young
daughter and her broken leg.  K3FIV, AA6DX, N6YEU   and a  few others
helped to hand out SF Q's.

73 Bill n6zfo