[SCCC] SS SSB K6ZH Single Op LP from Nevada

Jim Price jnprice at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 19 01:33:59 EST 2012

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6ZH
Operator(s): K6ZH
Station: K6ZH

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NV

------------
  160:
   80:   57
   40:   61
   20:   51
   15:  202
   10:   81
------------
Total:  452  Sections = 82  Total Score = 74,128

First SS contest operation from our 'second home' in Goldfield, NV (Esmeralda
County - rare if anyone needs it).  I was singing a song called "ONE is the
loneliest number" since that was the only section I didn't work  :-(

Learned a couple of obvious lessons:
1) 100 watts plus TH-3 at 30 feet = not loud (although I did have a nice run on
Sat. afternoon on 15 meters)  I'm envious of N6ZFO's posting!

2) do not ever use a G5RV on 40 and 80 meters for this contest (at least not on
SSB!)  I do have a 40-80 inverted vee combo here, but I got lazy because of
cold, windy wx and didn't put it up.  "My bad."

Exciting moments:  I went to bed on Sat. night needing 6 sections:  PR, WV, ME, VO1, ONE, and ONS.  I was most concerned about KP4.  So after breakfast on Sun. morning, I punched the radio on to 10 meters, and the first signal I heard (and worked) was NP4G.  OK!
Tuned up the band - next:  VO1TA  OK!.
Tuned down the band - next:  NW8U in WV  OK!
About an hour later I worked K8PO in ME  OK!
About an hour later I worked VE3RCN in ONS  OK!
But no ONE - not heard, not worked.  Sigh...

Certainly there were some big scores from NV, but I heard many times
"thanks for NV, I needed that one."  So even if I couldn't get runs going most
of the time, I guess I made some people (including WN6K) happy!

On to next year.
73 - Jim, K6ZH [hopefully with a 7 callsign for later contests from Goldfield]