[SCCC] Fwd: Interesting Band Plan Chart and Some Beacon info ( 160 Mtr Band too ! )

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki73 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 21:47:28 EST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Gottfried <w2gez at yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Subject: Interesting Band Plan Chart

Interesting region 2 ITU band plan.  I notice 60 meters was not listed.
Also, I have heard many, many beacons, which are rather cool as they go on
and off all over the world, some every minute and so you hear first Europe,
then Africa, then S. American ones then Pacific and Asian.  From W2 land I
note even on so called dead bands the ZS beacons in South Africa and the ZL
ones in New Zealand often are heard the most.  They usually give a series
of beeps, first with 100 watts, then 50 watts then 10 watts and then either
5 or 1 watt.  Oddly I usually hear them all.  Most use very simple
omni-directional antennas.  14.100 is good to start out listening.

Also, I never knew about beacons on the very top of 160 meters.  I know in
Asia I would hear odd cw in spots on 160 and learned it was fishing buoys
with little transmitters similar to what is used in western airports on VHF
and UHF.  These fishing floating markers use very low power and are used in
communist China and some North Korean sites near military bases.  They send
some letters and numbers.

Cheers,
Mike