[SCCC] SCCC wins another gavel

Steven Katz stevek at jmr.com
Thu Nov 14 12:09:45 EST 2013

Congrats to all on a great job!

Marty: #3 MM nationally from CA?

Whodathunkit?  :)

73

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: SCCC [mailto:sccc-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Marty Woll
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:08 AM
To: 'Wayne Overbeck'; sccc at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SCCC] SCCC wins another gavel

Congratulations to all the SCCC members who put in time, effort and gas money in support of the June effort!  Wayne said it, but I'll say it again:

a huge amount of credit goes to my outstanding Frazier Peak teammates (K6VCR, K6ZMW, N6MI, W6YLZ and WB2WIK), to our intrepid rovers and, I must add, to Wayne himself for enabling so many of our club members with loans of equipment and antennas and with the strategy he developed years ago to take optimal advantage of it all.

Yes, conditions were relatively poor, but with our rovers we practically make our own propagation.  We will never have the many advantages enjoyed by operators in the Midwest and East; the rovers are the equalizer, and they are more reliable than tropo ducts by far.  They also turn what could otherwise be an uninspiring event into a potential (and, in this case,

actual) winner with all the accompanying excitement.  That said, our ranks are thinning (collectively, not individually!), and we need more members to join the rover ranks.  One or two extra vehicles can make a huge difference in scores.  We have had dedicated HF contesters and dedicated Emcomm ops discover and enjoy VHF / UHF / microwave roving.  Won't some more of you give it a go?

I'm leaving this evening for Newington, CT for the quarterly Admin & Finance Committee meeting.  Once that's over, I expect to put W1AW on the air for a fair chunk of Phone Sweepstakes.  Good luck to all, and I'll be listening for you!

73,

Marty N6VI