[SCCC] Fwd: CQWW SSB ZD8O(N5ZO) SOAB HP

Marko L Myllymaki marko.l.myllymaki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 14:15:02 EDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <webform at b4h.net>
Date: Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Subject: CQWW SSB ZD8O(N5ZO) SOAB HP
To: 3830 at contesting.com, marko.L.myllymaki at gmail.com

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: ZD8O
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: ZD8O

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ascension Is
Operating Time (hrs): 47.5

  160:    4     4        4
   80:   36    12       22
   40:  340    27       73
   20: 1528    36      115
   15: 1360    33      113
   10: 2867    35      114
------------------------------

Once again great contest !
This was my 4th time for annual field day on Ascension Island, and I finally
was able to complete the operation without major hick-ups like antenna
failures
or broken bones.  I originally came here in 2010 for CW contest to do CQWW
from
z 36, but I keep coming back as always something failed and also because
this
is such an interesting place to operate the contest and usually there is no
other big z 36 activity, so it is always fun to put this place on air.
 Somehow
I got "stuck" on this place on my lifetime project to operate CQ WW
from all 40 zones...
This year I had Henri OH3JR/ZD8JR with me to help with set-up, which is
always
complete field-day, as there is nothing permanent for radio at the QTH.  It
was
really great to have help, as I have always built everything myself, and
I've
been dog-tired by Thursday.  This time we finished all antennas on Tuesday,
and
had some time to relax and take it easy since then.  Henri also cooks mean
omelets for breakfast !
Station additions for this year included rotator also for 2nd mast, so both
tribanders could be turned from the shack.  Also, I experimented with 2nd
vertical on 40 with phasing box to run it either broadside (US) or end fire
(EU).  Antenna seems to work as expected, or even better, but my small
signal far from the population centers is still not enough for any of the
low
bands.  It is very hard to get any kind of run going even on 40 SSB and 80
and
160 are practically S&P bands for SSB.  Hearing does not seem to be a
problem as there is little man-made noise here due to not many mans on the
island.  Current QTH just does not have enough space for much improved
antennas
for low bands, will need to think what to do in the future.  It is
interesting
how different this is on CW, as I've been doing quite a bit 40 CW during
last
10 days here.  Skimmers spot me immediatly and there is instant run on 40
CW.
Totally different on SSB where I think I get buried in QRM and nobody even
notices ZD8 on band until I work somebody who spots me.
Due to Henri's help on set-up, I have overall never felt so good operating
entire 48 hrs.  I was somewhat fatigued and tired during all day Saturday as
ate one of those big omelets for breakfast.  On Sunday I asked Henri to make
1/3 of the omelet and I think I was overall more alert entire Sunday and
have never before felt so coherent operating Sunday in 48 hr contest.  Next
time I will keep myself in nice hunger !  I had no failures at all this
time.
Overall conditions seemed to be great around the world, but I think they
were
bit down for me from last year, when I achieved almost same score operating
in
lot of discomfort.  Only 10 m was usable here in middle of the day, and
even it
quieted down.  Low bands overall were worst I have seen them in last 4
years.
Some amazing scores especially from 8P5A, CR2X, VE2IM and NH2T;
congratulations
to all !  It is really great to be part of such a global competition.
I don't understand why I never found Yuri on any band.  I really feel bad of
it, I did work couple other z 2 stations though, so damage for me was muted.
Maybe I will learn more about it on CW contest next month as I'm suppose to
be
there as VC2R for new zone 2 for me.
I did not give any consideraton to CLASSIC entry and optimized nothing
toward
it, although I was certain I would do quite well for it.  My CLASSIC score
after 1st day is approx 5.3M.  I was true SO1R and with no connection to
outside world other than my K3 radio.

Antennas: 2 separate 30 ft masts with A3S tribander on each, 2 vertical
array +
sloper dipole for 40 m, inverted V dipoles for 80/160.

Next month this location will be on for CW portion for 3 single band
entries on
40, 15 and 10 using more or less the antennas we set up with Henri.
73 and TNX for the QSOs de Marko N5ZO/ZD8O