[SCCC] New Article on Website

Jim Forsyth jim at af6o.com
Thu Feb 27 12:38:44 EST 2014

Why Public Service-Oriented Hams Should Participate in Contests - N6VI

Below is the preamble that Marty asked to be sent along with this
announcement:

73 Jim, AF6O

/New Blood: Getting "Emcomm" Hams to Try Contesting/

//

/Along with the general concern over the graying of Amateur Radio, many
contesters see the contact pool aging and eventually dwindling.  Even
though total licensing in the U.S. has risen, roughly half of all U.S.
Hams today are Technician-class licensees who may never be exposed to
contesting unless contesters get them interested.   We can do ourselves
some good while helping our recruits become more skilled operators if we
practice some outreach.  To that end, I have prepared the accompanying
article, and I encourage you to share it with local "emcomm" groups and
individuals.  Many of you have done a great job of bringing in newcomers
by providing guest-op chairs at your contest stations or by coaching
GOTA operators at your local Field Day.  Here's one way to cast the net
a bit wider. /

//