[SCCC] SCCC wins another gavel!

Wayne Overbeck via SCCC sccc at contesting.com
Tue Jun 10 17:24:10 EDT 2014

SCCC has won still another gavel in a VHF contest,
our eleventh (11th) during the last four years.  But it
could be our last gavel for a while.

The results of the January, 2014 VHF Contest are in
the just-released digital edition of the July, 2014 QST.

SCCC topped the medium club category with a club
aggregate score of 1.571 million points from 10 logs.
The Potomac Valley Radio Club was second with 810k
points from 24 logs.  There was only one entry in the
unlimited club category, the Mt. Airy VHF Club with
2.184 million points from 68 logs.

SCCC members were #1 in four individual categories in
the January VHF Contest.

N6TEB (+K6WCI) had the top rover score with 335,000
points.  K9JK (+N6HB) had 317k for second place.  An
eastern rover was third (boo, hiss), while W6TE was
fourth.  W6TTF and WA6WTF tied for fifth nationally.

Other SCCC winners were W6YLZ with 42k in the limited
rover category, K6MI with 12k in the single operator,
three-band category.and N6NB with 123k in the single
operator QRP portable category (the second place score
there was under 8k),

***

Why did I say this may be our last gavel for a while?  SCCC
participation has been steadily declining.  In the key all-band
rover category, I'm only planning to outfit one station other than
my own for this weekend's June VHF Contest.  Everyone else
who has been roving either has conflicts or is operating with
a fixed multioperator group.

Look for W6TTF and N6NB as 10-band rovers on a route
from Madera to Los Angeles.  N6TEB and K6WCI will be
in the limited (four-band) category on a different but similar
north-to-south route.  N6GP, also in the four-band category, will
be roving in L.A. and perhaps the high desert or San
Diego.

Be sure to look for W6TE on Mt. Frazier, N6MI near Barstow,
NI6E near Chiriaco Summit and N6MU in Panorama Heights
as fixed hilltoppers.  KB0ZO is a fixed station that will be
operating in Victorville as a memorial to the late KI6FF.

I apologize if I missed anyone who is roving or hilltopping.
If anyone else would like to rove, please let me know.  There
are 10-band stations available if others would like to join the
roving group.

73, Wayne, N6NB