[SCCC] New England QSO Party

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:49:12 EDT 2014

Jeff, W6JK,  wrote:

>​The antennas at Harvey Mudd look like they've fallen on hard times

It's amazing they are still there.  When Joe Platt died several years ago I
corresponded with someone at HMC re ham radio, but he never replied past
the first email.

The tower on the old Science Building was donated by Dave, K6DDO (SK) who
was maybe a JR. at Pomona College when we formed the club in the fall of
'59. Initially we operated from an extra dorm room on the east side of
North Hall. Dave also lent us his Viking Thunderbolt as a companion to my
HT-32.  The HMC admin supported of our efforts generously.  The grounds
manager at HMC, Gates Angle, was the father of Ron, K6KYJ, who was active
at Claremont HS Ham Club (CHC) --  but we did not know Ron.

In 1961, we had a brilliant fund raising idea. Through my dad we had access
to the film "Faster, Stronger, Higher" depicting the Squaw Valley Winter
Olympic Games. We showed the film at the Claremont HS Auditorium.  With
dreams of building a fantastic station, we managed to clear $1.37 from the
massive effort.  It was a learning experience.

73 Bill n6zfo