[SCCC] K6NA IARU-HF, 2015

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Thu Jul 16 03:34:51 EDT 2015

                IARU HF World Championship

Call: K6NA

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: SoCal
Operating Time (hrs): 22.75

   160:    32    0       7        3
    80:   138    0      14        9
    40:   445    0      32       32
    20:   519    0      35       42
    15:   146    0      25       21
    10:     7    0       5        1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1287    0     118      108  Total Score = 973,834

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments for SCCCers:
In 2014 I was a referee at WRTC.  In 2013 I was on the road
someplace, working, and couldn't do the contest.  In 2012, my last
serious entry in this one, I had well over a million points on CW, so
I think it's fair to assume our propagation conditions were down
considerably compared with three years ago.

I didn't do any real preparation for the contest, even forgetting
until very late Friday afternoon that I needed to have a 160m
antenna.  My 160m wire vertical array is usually unavailable in
spring-summer mowing season, because I roll up all the surface
radials and coaxial feeders.  So, at sunset I managed to roll out
seven radials for just one of the verticals, and connected the main
feeder directly to the antenna (bypassing the switchbox).  The band
was actually quite usable, in spite of major QRN, so I'm glad I
hooked up the antenna.  I had no separate receive antenna.

During mid-afternoon on Saturday I took a 15-minute break, which
inexplicably morphed into a 75-minute break including a brief nap
after eating a snack.  "I'll just stretch out over here on the couch
for ten minutes...."  Oops.

In general, I mostly S&P'd the first 12 hours, as I was just having
fun finding the stuff, cracking the piles, and avoiding the intensity
of CQ runs.  But in the second 12 hours I CQ'd much more, and that
was fun, too.  The late afternoon-early evening 20m opening was
incredible.  40m was nearly as good to Europe, but for far fewer
hours due to so much daylight in the northern latitudes.  The
summertime conditions make for an interesting contest.

I like the interesting combination multiplier of ITU zones and the HQ
rabbits, too.  That hook, plus the 24-hour 'sprint' format with no
off time, makes this contest a blast to operate.

Thanks to our Bruce for his score-reporting tools.

73,
Glenn K6NA