[SCCC] K6NA AA-CW 2015

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Thu Jul 16 02:35:46 EDT 2015

                 All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: K6NA
Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SoCal

   160:
    80:    2     2
    40:   60    34
    20:  107    66
    15:   84    66
    10:
-------------------
Total:  253   168  Total Score = 42,840

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments for SCCCers:
I always enjoy working the Asians in this one.  I was a college kid
in the midwest about 1966 or so when I stumbled into this contest and
played around.  With low power and a poor antenna in Wisconsin,
making even a handful of Asian contacts was a thrill.

Originally the format was a 30-hour contest period.  It started at
1000Z on Saturday, and ended at 1600Z on Sunday, and I loved that
format.  I used to put fairly serious efforts into these, on both
modes, and had good success.  West coasters had both local sunrise
openings, could make a full effort, and yet still enjoy most of
Sunday in regular activities.

Some years ago the JARL increased the contest period to a full 48
hours.  For me, this change made the contest much more tedious from
the west coast, with so many daylight hours with no openings to Asia
for hours at a time-- especially in the down-years of the solar
cycle.  This decreased my interest in big efforts, except for an
occasional single-band 40m entry.  More recently, JARL moved to allow
packet use for all single-operator entries, and my interest declined
further as a result.

Even so-- it's always a thrill to work the Asian openings 'down the
curve of the dawn.'  (WA6AUD)

73,

Glenn K6NA