[SCCC] ARRL DX CW 15m SOHP W6YA

Jim McCook w6ya at cox.net
Mon Feb 22 00:03:21 EST 2016

Call: W6YA
Operator(s): W6YA
Station: W6YA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 25.5

   160:
    80:
    40:
    20:
    15: 1076   112
    10:
-------------------
Total: 1076   112  Total Score = 361,536

Although we're seeing a big drop from the last cycle peak, 15 meters was
very
active and conditions were generally good.  15 was much better on
Sunday. It
was, as always, a pleasure to find so many old friends around the world
that
have been contesting for many decades.  It was a fun contest.

There is a dark side, though.

The negative effects of the skimmers and spotting networks were very
obvious in
this contest.  Rare mults were hounded by many stations who were zero
beat with
each other AND WITH the DX stations.  I saw several of these DX stations go
away in frustration.  I still envision a REAL contest when all this
hand-holding
garbage would be shut down.  Support for skimmers and spotting networks
is for
people who want shortcuts and to avoid the real skill of hunting for
mults themselves.

Apparently the focus is on score, instead of the real accomplishment of
doing
it without having a "cheat sheet."

Sorry, I'm very disappointed in what has happened to contesting for so
many ops
because of their use of technology at the expense of skill.

73, Jim
W6YA