[SCCC] Bring a newbie to Field Day

Neil Jessen neiljessen at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:52:01 EDT 2016

I have to agree with what Tim and Kurt (and others) have said about Field Day.  We need to get more newbies and "repeater jockeys" into an HF contest seat.  Its the only way we are going to keep adding new and fresh blood into the contest arena.  If everyone takes a newbie or repeater jockey to Field Day and gets them on the air, that would be a start.  Not just setting them down at the GOTA station while you go run another station...but sit there and coach them and help them out so they get the hang of contesting.

I also like what Tim mentioned about getting together as a committee prior to FD and planning out some VHF stations, etc.  Again, those stations are typically handed to the noobs that don't know how to contest while the seasoned operators are MIA because they are running a station on HF.  If we work this out, there definitely are a lot of extra points to be had on these bands.  But it is going to take a dedicated, seasoned operator to oversee that station and make sure that its being utilized to its full potential.  I don't know if OCCARO is still around, but maybe this "committee" idea can be addressed and presented via them.

Just some random thoughts for a Tuesday morning.

73,

Neil - N6VHF