[SCCC] Of course Field Day is a contest (N6MI)

The Pollacks rinkies at att.net
Tue Jun 21 21:34:14 EDT 2016

An age old controversy.

My wisecracking about it aside, the purpose of field day was always, and
still is, primarily an emergency preparedness exercise.  Training contest
ops and other benefits are intended to be secondary goals, and that's likely
why ARRL downplays the contest issue.

For a number of years, I've participated in FD with a large club, putting up
numerous towers and beams, serving elaborate meals, etc.  Always fun.

This year, several friends and I are doing "our own thing," with a 2
transmitter setup, with portable antennas and several batteries, with a
standby generator that we may use for charging if necessary.

One reason we decided to do this was to experience FD as God (or at least
the ARRL!) intended, and see how we might fare if called on in a real
emergency.  We'll do as well as we can contest wise, but sure won't be
competitive.

There are lots of other contests.  (I'm not competitive in those, either!)

Will let you know how it all works out.  Film at 11.

Ron K2RP