[SCCC] background noise levels for contest operating locations

Drew Arnett kb9fko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 11:25:19 EST 2016

I ended up sitting out SS CW having caught the cold that was going
around.  During preparation, though, I did a quick survey of the noise
floor on the HF contest bands at the W6QAR station location I usually
use.  It's on top of a commercial building and is a bit noisy, though
it does have a good radio horizon in most directions (except for a few
degrees due north.)  So, I am starting to to wonder if operating from
someplace else would be better, even if it's QRP or has a worse
horizon.

The noise floors I observed, an hour or two before sunset:  20 and 15m
s5 to s7, 80 s9 to s9+10, 160 s7 to s9, 40 and 10m fairly quiet.
Given what I'd expect conditions to be like and the areas needed for
SS CW, I figured quite 40m and tolerable 20 and 15 wouldn't be too
bad, but that 80m noise floor would be a concern given overnight
propagation.

I know, it's SNR not noise floor that counts, but this was with modest
antennas, hence the concern.  Wondering if I should seek out a better
location, at least as far as contesting is concerned.  What do more
experienced folks say?

Best regards,

Drew
kb9fko