[SCCC] background noise levels for contest operating locations

Peter Putnam ni6e at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 20 12:26:39 EST 2016

Drew,

An excellent question with an easy answer...  the noise levels you
mention make contest operation essentially impossible.

As an example, I helped set up a Field Day station at a local community
center chosen for the convenience of the visitors with no regard for RF
noise. As it turned out, 40m had S9 noise. Two or three stations were
louder than that and we "worked-out" the band almost instantly. Field
Day was over in five minutes.

It seemed a bit strange that so little activity was heard from the
30,000+ stations that were supposed to be participating, so I took a
receiver to a hill-top, free of noise sources, about a mile away. The
difference was astonishing. With just a wire looped over some tree
branches, the band was alive with so many signals so tightly packed
together there was no place to call CQ. Field Day wasn't over after all.

If you can't hear 'em, you can't work 'em...

73,
Peter
NI6E