[SCCC] Revised ARRL Articles and Bylaws and Motion

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 22:37:11 EST 2017

To my fellow SCCC members,.

A set of proposed Articles and Bylaws changes is being proposed by Dir. Norris (Delta Division), no doubt with substantial drafting by one or more attorneys on the “front row”.  If this reflector supports attachments, then the redline version is attached.  If not, you can either rely on the summary below or ask me for the Word document (but not all at once, please!)

Note in particular the following:

A change to Bylaw 2 would allow the Board to revoke a membership.  I wonder how this would sit with Life Members, who paid good and valuable consideration for their life memberships – isn’t that called a contract?  I further wonder who among the general membership they might decide to go after.

Bylaw 11 would be changed to as a consequence of removal under the changed Bylaw 46.

Bylaw 41 would have an added provision that the Ethics & Elections Committee apply the Policy on Board Governance and Conduct.

Bylaw 47(a) would allow the Board to terminate the term of an officer, Director or Vice Director by terminating their ARRL membership (therefore rendering them ineligible to serve).  This change appears to me to be inconsistent with Section 33-1088 of Connecticut State Law, which provides that, if a director is elected by a subset of the voting body (members, in the League’s case), only the members of that subset can remove him or her.  (Of course, I’m not an attorney; it’s just that I can read and understand English.)

Bylaw 47(b) would allow a censure with no advance notice and no opportunity for the targeted individual to be heard.

Bylaw 48 would require the use of binding arbitration and prohibit legal action through the courts.

Less onerous but still likely to be seen negatively by members is the change proposed to Bylaw 9 to eliminate the transferability of a Silent Key’s Life Membership to a surviving spouse who is licensed and a current ARRL member.

If this is not the direction members want ARRL to go, then they had better let their respective directors know ASAP; the Board discussion voting takes place in just four weeks.  Those of you in the Southwestern Division probably know where our Director stands on these changes, but be sure your friends in other Divisions know about this and speak up.

73,

Marty N6VI