[SCCC] FW: WAS "Papa web site posting" - Mobile Amateur Operation now Illegal in CA !?

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Sun Jan 22 15:18:29 EST 2017

Hi, Dennis.

We have discussed this at length on our Southwestern Division weekly net (in which you are welcome to participate (3.965 at 0800 local on Sunday mornings).  The short answer is that we are working on it and have been since before it was signed.  The longer answer is that several of our Volunteer Counsels have oral acknowledgement from a staff member of the House Transportation Committee that our mobile radios were not intended targets of this legislation.  Unfortunately, a staffer's work won't be enough, so Len Shaffer WA6QHD is working on getting an audience with the bill's author, Bill Quirk (Northern Cal) to ask for either a modification or a letter to the Legislative Journal clarifying their intent.  If we get the former, that should do it.  If we get the latter, we can take it to the CHP and ask for a letter from them (and corresponding training for LEOs).

Although it may take some time, I believe the outcome will be positive.  Contrast this to recently passed laws in two Arizona cities that now prohibit all electronic devices while mobile.

73,

Marty N6VI
Vice-Director (but not for much longer)