[SCCC] KG6IYN ARRL June VHF

Bruce Kripton bkripton at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 11 23:55:24 EDT 2017

 ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: KG6IYN
Operator(s): KG6IYN
Station: KG6IYN

Class: VHF 3 Band
QTH: SDG (DM12rr)
Operating Time (hrs): 22 hours

    6:    432   156
    2:    104     17
  432:    74     12
-------------------
Total:   684  185  Total Score = 126,540

Saturday afternoon start about five hours after the starting gun. Odd openings initially on six, including a few stations in Hawaii. For most this event was all about six meters, we had our waves where it was sporatic for anywhere between 15 to 30 minutes and sometimes up to an hour or so plus before propagation would drop off for awhile. Drop off is an interesting term, because when I wasn't hearing or working anyone, the propagation loggers were getting lots of hits in DM03 and DM04 as an example. We had a few lulls in activity, late Saturday when six went away, it was time to work 2 and 432 for "anyone anywhere" just to get some points in the log.
Sunday morning started up with odd grid squares on six, then came to life about 1300 local time and pretty much stayed in until it all wrapped up Sunday night.
Digital seemed to be a big deal and there were lots of folks beating each other up on or around 50.276 on JT65. That was interesting because conditions certainly were good enough that CW and Phone operators could have knocked out dozens more contacts while the digital folks were wrapping up one.
My usual report for years past references my location as the "Left Coast", and more recently the "Left Out Coast" because it seems the lions share of propagation and contacts are everywhere else in North America other than Southern California. That wasn't the case this year though, and as much as I'm confident while we did good and had fun this time around, "everywhere else" had and did better ... :-).
Hope we have a good turnout and similar conditions for the CQ WW VHF Contest this weekend ....
'73 - Bruce, KG6IYN