[SCCC] ARRL June VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 00:20:46 EDT 2017

ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 12.3

    6:  217    52
    2:    42    6
  222:  29    4
  432:  17    4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  305    71  Total Score = 24,921

Saturday morning had a thick marine layer, and made the drive up Angeles Crest
Hwy a pain. Can't believe there were 50+ bicyclists out there in the fog and
drizzle.  Arrived about 15 minutes before the contest at my DM14 turnout.
Hurried to setup before the start, but managed to get going.  No 6 meter
opening.
Made 50 local Qs, and moved down the road to DM04.  Needed to be further west.
Not a very good location.  Still no opening, but made 30 local Qs.  Glad to work
an ATNO W6FM in CM95.  Great to work N6MI in DM15 on 6 and 2.
Was a 2 hour slog in traffic to go to Signal Hill DM03.  Nice W0 and W5 opening
on 6.  Made almost 100 Qs there and called it a night.
Didn't realize it was raining in Newport Beach on Signal Peak.  Chatted with
Peter NI6E and Scott AF6RT at NI6E's newsvan until the rain stopped.  Had a monster opening to
the Seattle area and to the Rocky Mountain states.
I asked Bruce KG6IYN where a good roving spot, and he suggested the parking
area for the Torrey Pines Gliderport.  It was another 2 hour drive, though.
Excellent views back to L.A. area.  Fantastic location - thank you Bruce!
I still need to minimize the amount of driving between grids and need to
increase the usage of the 2, 220, and 440 yagis that I have, rather than single
element whips.
Murphy struck in the form of bad PTT microswitch on IC 7000 mic,  RFI in my rig
interface, and in intermittent CW connection on back of my rig.
Thanks to all the locals who made a special effort to get on the air.
73,
Tim N6GP/R
P.S.  To SCCC -  I emailed to roughly 45 people whom I don't think are on this reflector, and
asked them to get on the air.    I was pleased that many showed up, and I am grateful for
the QSOs.    Seems like online marketing for this contest needs to be done.  Wish we had
an active VHF Society to do this formally.  Should we start one under SCCC banner?
There seems to be a hole in DM14 for 222 and 440.  I put those 2 bands on the air, but I
did not find any others on that band.
Another frustrating grid this year was DM05.   Somebody needs to put it on the air again like
years past.
Was great to hear the familiar voice of one of my elmers - Marsh K6MEF in the contest.

http://www.3830scores.com/