[SCCC] FT8 Power

Dennis Younker NE6I NE6I at cox.net
Tue Dec 4 21:31:24 EST 2018

Good perspective, Art. If you were -11 at 1,000 watts, you theoretically
were -21 at 100 watts. FT8 should generally work down to -24 but in my
experience, not always. Considering that even 3 dB of QSB would potentially
disturb the decoding if you were already at -21, that's possibly why you
guys were no go at 100 watts. A mere 3 dB increase in your output power to
200 watts should have taken you to -18, and surely solid copy on his end.
Once you are above the threshold, you're usually golden.

I've also found that FT8 decodes fine if you are as little as a couple Hz
difference in offset from QRM. Meaning, if a strong station is zero beat
with the other station and you are only 2 or 3 Hz different in offset, he's
going to be able to decode both of you, even if he is +10 and you are -15.
It's crazy that it works that well but that has been my experience.