[SCCC] AM to SSB transition

Wayne Overbeck overbeck6 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 22:58:55 EST 2018

Dennis, I'd really like to see some discussion of the AM-to-SSB transition
here on the SCCC list.  It would be fun to read what others remember from
those days.  Here are some of my recollections.

As a young ham in the 1950s I operated several contests on AM before SSB
became the mainstream voice mode on the HF bands.  The high point for me
was 1959 Phone Sweepstakes.  I finished second in the L.A. section, running
a Heathkit DX-100 transmitter and Hallicrafters SX-101 receiver to a 2-element
cubical quad for 10 and 15 meters (up 25 feet at the center--not very high even
by 1959 standards).  The guy who beat me (W6LNW) was #2 nationally and
he had much bigger antennas than I did.  Size mattered, as it still does.

QST published a list of the equipment used by all of the section leaders in those
days.  In 1959 almost all of the winners were running AM transmitters like Viking
Valiants, DX-100s or the earlier Viking I and Viking II rigs.  I don't think there was
much SSB activity in Phone Sweepstakes until a few years later.  I went off to
college and didn't operate SS for several years after 1959.

By 1965, however, everything had changed.  Almost all of the section leaders
were running SSB rigs and operating the contest mainly on SSB.  At the same
time, overall voice activity dramatically increased.  In 1959 Sweepstakes, CW
logs outnumbered phone logs by a 3:1 ratio.  By 1965, the ratio of CW logs to
phone logs was only 5:4.  There were more phone logs than CW logs in SS for
the first time in 1970, according to the tallies of Ellen White, W1YYM (now W1YL),
who wrote most of the SS articles for QST in that era.

Clearly, the transition to SSB led to a major increase in overall voice activity in
Sweepstakes.  However, it didn't lead to the kind of increase in overall scores
that you might expect.  In 1959, the top phone scores were over 200K (on AM),
not that much lower that the top phone scores now, 60 years later.  However,
that's really comparing apples to oranges because there was a power multiplier
then.  Also, the maximum operating period on each mode was longer than it is
today.  And to be honest, I don't think anyone worried much about "rubber clocking"
until the 1970s.  Most of us didn't operate anywhere near the maximum time allowed.

I don't remember the best receivers of the 1950s being that bad.  They had good
sensitivity and selectivity on the HF bands, even 10 meters.  What was different
was the HETERODYNES on the bands.  With all those AM carriers, during SS the
phone bands were a sea of squeals and whistles.  Receivers had notch filters,
but you couldn't eliminate all of the squeals.  (Null one out and another one would
pop up.)

Voice operating didn't seem all that different back then--except for the awful QRM.
With my DX-100 (about 100 watts of high-level plate modulated AM), I could hold
a frequency and run all day on 10 or 15.  S&P was a pain, though.  Without a
transceive mode you had to zero-beat every station that you called.  I very much
preferred running--and I hated it when 15 dropped out to the east.  I couldn't ever
hold a frequency and run on 40 meters.  W6LNW, the guy who beat me in '59
phone SS, could hold a frequency and run all night on 40.  I spent some envious
times listening to him.  Size mattered.  Um, did I say that before?

Just some random memories of phone contesting in 1959...

73, Wayne, N6NB (K6YNB back then)