[SCCC] AM to SSB transition

w6ph at aol.com w6ph at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 13:28:10 EST 2018

Wayne said it all.  I am 1955 vintage and this is exactly as I remember it.
Collins was the forefront for SSB.  The Strategic Air Command needed reliable communication in the polar regions for control of its bombers.  SSB solved the problems with AM distortion in the auroral regions.

SSB was developed in the late 40's for use by hams.  There are many articles in QST showing how to mathematically eliminate the carrier and eliminate one sideband.  It was called the phasing method and several manufacturers came out with these transmitters.  Collins took a different approach and used a balanced modulator and mechanical filter to produce the single sideband suppressed carrier signal.  It was produced on a single frequency and a heterodyne scheme was used to vary the frequency.  Using the heterodyne principle led to the transceiver which used the same VFO to vary both the transmit and receive frequency.  The KWM-1 was the first widely available transceiver and could be used either as a home station or a mobile station.
Heath Company and EF Johnson came out with what they called sideband adapters which were made to convert a normal AM-CW transmitter to SSB using the phasing method.  I converted my DX-100 for implementation of the SB-10 but never bought the SB-10.  Instead the SB-400 came out and was a better choice to get on SSB.  The Heathkit SB series was the poor man's Collins S-Line clone.
There was also a short period of interest in double sideband suppressed carrier or DSB.  Instead of producing the signal at a low level and amplifying, it was produced using balanced modulator techniques in the final tubes.  The control grids of the final tubes were directly driven and the output was operated push-pull.  The screen grids were driven with an audio signal in a push=pull arrangement.  However, the interest was very limited as it was one sideband too many!
Due to the availability of SSB gear at reasonable prices and the advantages of SSB, it became very popular very quickly.  Wayne is absolutely correct in his time lines.

73, Kurt W6PH