[SCCC] ARRL DX CW W6YA SOHP 20

Jim McCook w6ya at cox.net
Mon Feb 19 17:38:53 EST 2018

Hi Tim... Yep, all the opinions about spotting and skimmers are purely a
point of view.  It's different will all of us.

Having operated with and without spotting networks, and many years
before they existed, it's easy for me to say I can dream that they would
go away.  I don't like crutches to find DX in contests, pure and
simple.  I like to do my own hunting for DX in contests. Using those
crutches is like the guy who goes to Africa to hunt that hires locals to
track and find the game, tell him when to fire, so all the hunter has to
do is raise is Weatherby Magnum and pull the trigger at the right time.

It's like the fisherman who stops at roadside place with the big fishing
sign.  He goes into the office, rents pole and bait, someone baits his
hook, he drops it into a pond that's overstocked, and takes a fish home
as a hero.

I see those as analogies to spotting and skimmers, not to mention the
on-the-air disasters that they cause in hectic pileups. Talk to the
contest DXpeditioners about their frustration with pileups these days,
all due to spotting.

I like to do my own hunting without someone or someTHING else doing it
for me.  Just one opinion..... Jim W6YA