[SCCC] FW: NAQP CW WN6K Single Op LP

Paul WN6K at cox.net
Sun Jan 14 17:14:43 EST 2018

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: WN6K
Operator(s): WN6K
Station: WN6K

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Vista, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:50

  160:    7     6
   80:  108    27
   40:   94    35
   20:  191    49
   15:  158    32
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  558   149  Total Score = 83,142

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Team: SCCC #1

Comments:

I am beginning to think that:

A) I will never get any younger
B) I don't have enough money
C) I won't ever be anything but an SO1R op

So what is the point? I know all things are never equal, fair etc. (go search
Thesaurus.com for the next 45 meanings that may fit...

Conditions here sounded like they were going to be "ok" here but I
knew that I would have to Horse Race this thing to help my four other SO2R
members with some kind of score.

15m before the contest did not sound too promising when I was looking at the
band-testing CQers but as soon as the gunshot went off,it lit up like
Rockefeller Square at Tree lighting... so I figured it was the place to be. Soon
I discovered that it was 'sounding' OK but the mults were dismally low.  By
sticking to it,I got some recompense and after not getting or finding a NEW
mult, I knew it was time to give 15m the last rites and go to 20.

There was a ton of horsepower on 20m so we minors were relegated to the upper
floors of the building and I was fine as there were new mults to work. Long
before I wanted however, large clumps of band-noise appeared EVErYWHERE. I
wagged and flipped the SteppIR and located the abundance of it about 30
degrees.
I now think I have a 'growhouse' just about 200yds up our private road. So I
left 20m long before I wanted and took an hour break to eat a snack and chat
with the XYL. When I came back, it was 'over on 20m' so off to 40m.

Grow Lights must not affect 40M but it was too early to move there but I did the
best I could. I went to 80/160m and made a number of 'repeat QSOs' and finished
the contest back on 40 which had lengthened out so I was able to pickup 15 more
mults.

The following Sections were NOT hurt in this contest:

 VT DE NE ND as well as those 6 nameless Provinces

It was nice to get a call from HP1XT & a 6Y along with some JAs.

Thanks for all that found me and congrats to the crushing scores.

p.s. TODAY the 20m band-noise is S-zero --- go figure.

WN6K, Paul