[SCCC] January VHF N6GP Limited Rover LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 23 22:19:04 EST 2019

Thanks to all the QSOs from all the SCCC members!

 ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 9 HOUR

    6:   58    28
    2:   26     8
  222:   17     4
  432:   13     5
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  114    49  Total Score = 7,056

I wasn't expecting much sporadic E in this contest, so I joined a rover group
that was going to do 10 bands in 3 grids until 4PM local.  Had some equipment
problems, so the group quit early.   I began the contest on Barrett Hill in
north Tustin for a few contacts.  Couldn't get FT8 going, and the problem was I
didn't have the power slider high enough to trigger VOX.  Found the drive to
Signal Hill was much easier from here, rather than the hill in Newport Beach.
On Signal Hill I got FT8 going only to find the band open to Oregon! I think I
was too late for that opening, then suddenly Texas was rolling in.  Worked a ton
of Texas grids, and some from Kansas.  Some real short ones like DM25.
Drove out to Grapevine on Sunday, arriving about 1230 local.  Found a lot of
contesters in the valley hungry for that DM04 mult.  The N6SJV site was great to
coordinate on.  Ran Jon K6MI on all 4 bands for mults.  Got up to CM98 and DM08
on 6m FT8, and CM96 and CM98 on 2m FT8.  My first 2m FT8 ever!
Drove back thru the Grapevine to hear the Rams victory on LA radio.
Went to the hill in Glendale for more DM04, and found the activity to be very
low. Scraped up some contacts there.  DM12 was a tough shot that day.
Hurried up and drove to the Walmart in DM14 right before the end of the
contest.
FT8 is a huge game changer!  Kudos to the WSJT team, because the contest mode
works great, even with my /R callsign. Am going to try more 2m FT8 for long
shots.
Problems:  QRM from my GPS dongle on 6m.  Tried to unplug it in Glendale, but
then my FT8 time was 2 seconds off.  Next time I need to turn on computer first,
and let the GPS track for about 5 minutes before unplugging.
73,
Tim N6GP/R

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif]<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>    Virus-free. www.avast.com<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>