[SCCC] NC6K - IARU SOAB Mixed HP

egruff at cox.net egruff at cox.net
Tue Jul 16 02:06:15 EDT 2019

Contest: IARU HF World Championship - 2019

                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: NC6K

Operator(s): NC6K

Station: NC6K

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP

QTH: SDG

Operating Time (hrs): 18

Radios: SO2R

Band  CW Qs  Ph Qs  Zones  HQ Mults

-------------------------------------

  160:    6      0      3       1

   80:   77      0     12       5

   40:  418      9     27      21

   20:  457     20     23      17

   15:   35      0     11       4

   10:    0      0      0       0

-------------------------------------

Total:  993     29     76      48  Total Score = 376,216

I had intended for this to be a 24-hour effort and it started well at 0500
local

with a pot of coffee on the desk. Other than that it was pretty much a 20 M

contest after the sun came up, no complaints. I managed a few QSOs on 15 M,
but

it was mostly local stuff.

10 hours into the contest, my PC froze. After rebooting, it would not let me
log

in. Long story short, after three hours of trying to fix Windows 10, I gave
up

and grabbed my laptop, then started installing all the SDR and logging
software

to get back on the air. I lost six hours operating time on Saturday
afternoon,

and was unable to operate SO2R on the laptop due to the limited processing

power, but at least I finished with 18 hours BIC time.

This is a valuable lesson for trying to operate a contest with an SDR - have

backup PC ready to go or be ready to shut down early if the PC dies. I have

confess that I never really expected this to happen, and I could have just

plugged in my Yaesu FTdx5000 and used the laptop for logging, but being

pig-headed, I thought I could fix the problem quickly. Just another radio

lesson.

Thanks to all for the Qs, and especially those that were patient when there
were

lags in CW being sent by my old laptop.

73 de NC6K