[SCCC] FT4 on 7047

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Thu May 2 16:35:03 EDT 2019

At 12:20 PM 5/2/2019, you wrote:
>..... looking at the chart on Club Log, more of the digital signal
>users have come from the SSB and Other users and not so much from
>CW. I believe this is mainly due to depressed sunspot numbers
>forcing people who want to play radio to move to digital.

What is more depressing is watching spots for the many QSOs now being
made via E-skip by Europeans on 28 and 21 MHz (and a few Asians) that
state the S/N ratio is POSITIVE, meaning a CW/voice QSO could have
been made instead of by using "below-the-noise-level" digital modes.
BTW, note that that S/N ratio measurement does not include the
effects of QSB, since only a spot-check is done by the software of
the actual S/N ratio at some particular moment.

>Since there is so much more wasted space on SSB than on CW it makes
>more sense to move digital to the SSB portion of the band. Steve's
>point of over driving modulation is just one issue. Creating
>multiple digital modes requiring more and more bandwidth is.

I had not thought of that, since I don't operate voice, never tune up
there, and have just about completely forgotten what the voice
subbands are  8-). But true, although this would be far too much to
hope for, especially in this day of FCC deregulation. I live in the
fear that one day soon, the FCC will abolish mode subbands
altogether. Probably after some such proposal put out by the fine
folks in Newington.

>Whoever chose 7047.0 to channelize FT4 clearly has no understanding
>of 40 meters. No understanding the value of W1AW. No understanding
>of the CW band. Perhaps the intent is to float 7047.0 out there and
>see if there is any push back from the CW community. So far I have
>seen very little which is distressing to me.

K1JT has essentially commandeered frequencies for his
custom-developed digital modes. Instead, he should not even make any
suggestion of where to operate his digital modes, letting people,
theirselves, chose. Had that happened in the first place, it seems
reasonable that these modulated-tone modes would have established
theirselves within the voice bands to begin with. This would quickly
spread them out and they most likely wouldn't even be having the
"crowding" problems they now complain about, since they would not be
"forced" into one or a few channelized frequencies on each band. They
would quickly settle on certain "calling frequencies" and my betting
is they would, for the most part, be up higher in the bands than they
now are and thus causing less interference. Remember what happened
just a month or so ago when two DXpeditions showed up nearly
simultaneously in Africa, and both got on FT8 on the same band at the
same time, both using fox mode with tones lower than 1000 Hz AND on,
initially, the SAME frequency. When one became aware of the other, it
moved just 2 kHz DOWN, causing it's "hound" callers to pile up right
on the second DXpedition. I had to laugh at that  8-D

>I don't feel this issue is a lost cause for the CW community. I
>believe that once the sunspots return and people can actually make
>human to human contact again the ham radio that we know and love will return.

I don't think this will happen, because despite the positive S/N
ratios now being spotted, it obviously is not happening now. If the
recent ARRL proposal to the FCC to allow Technicians on the HF bands
becomes law, this is even less likely.

SteveH, K0XP