[SCCC] 2019 ARRL SS Phone SOHP W4EF

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sat Nov 23 12:25:44 EST 2019

Hi Larry,

There is a lot to this subject with lots of different ways to approach
solutions, so perhaps we should talk by phone. I will be back from
Ontario on Monday 11/25. If you want to ring me up, you can reach me at
(818) 648-4846.

The quick rundown is that I am using the free version of "TeamViewer"
software to do "remote desktop". This allows me to run most of the
control software on the computer at the remote site. On that computer, I
have Ham Radio Deluxe, N1MM+, and the control programs for the KAT500
and KPA500. I also have a control program for my Array Solutions
wattmeter, but I mostly rely on the wattmeter built into the KPA500
which readouts in near realtime on the desktop of my remote computer
through the KPA500 control program. There is a little bit of latency in
the remote desktop so the update of the wattmeter is choppier than what
you see when you are sitting in front of the computer at the remote site.

With regard to TeamViewer, I just went through a long back and forth
with the TeamViewer people trying to convince them that I wasn't using
their program for commercial purposes. The free version is only to be
used for non-commercial purposes and apparently they have some
surveillance in place that flags potential commercial use. I got caught
up in that dragnet and as a results I had restrictions placed on my
remote access which was very annoying. I think I finally got clear of
all that, but who knows when that could come back (they are very opaque
about what the red flags are), so I think I am going to start looking
for alternatives.

Back when I had a rotary antenna working, I used the Green Heron control
program to rotate my antenna. Like the other applications I mentioned, I
run the Green Heron program on the computer at the remote site using
TeamViewer to access the desktop GUI.

It's also possible to run some of these applications on your client
computer (i.e. where the operator sits). That can have advantages
(screen updates happen locally), but other than running Ham Radio Deluxe
that way for a time, I haven't explored this approach as much.

Hope this helps.

73, Mike W4EF