[SCCC] Remote Operating (was 2019 ARRL SS Phone SOHP W4EF)

Dana Roode K6NR dana.roode at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 19:41:57 EST 2019

Hi Mike,

I moved from MS Remote Desktop to Teamviewer for my remote when I started
running WSJT and it did not display correctly.  TV worked great, but I too
ran into the "commercial use" thing and they abruptly shut me down.  I had
the back and forth with them and they told me how to re-enable, but I
didn't want to be at their mercy.  I moved to the commercial VNC (
realvnc.com) - I bought a server license for something like $60 a year and
it works great (either direct or via the cloud).

I exchanged some email with Larry earlier; I started my remote station 19
years ago with Kachinas and dialups.  There were few options then but there
are many now.  I agree the approach you outline below is the most
straightforward.  I've been using TRX-Manager to control the radio.  I
currently manage my K3, KPA1500, 3 rotators, 8 transmit antennas, and 5
receive antennas over VNC using my control PC.  Some of the equipment I use
for switching and the like is no longer made so I'll need to scout out
backup options.

I was at Pacificon and attended a session by K6UFO on remote operation.  He
provided a good overview of the various approaches and equipment out
there.  His slides are here:

http://www.k6ufo.com/attachments/Pacificon_2019.pdf

I'm still working on the QRN out at the desert location, but good news is I
finally got SCE's attention and they are sending someone out to check it
out with me next week.  We also traced one source down to neighbors, I left
notes to contact me, and the noise suddenly went away.

   Dana