[SCCC] CQ160WWCW K0XP SO LP

Steve k0xp at k0xp.com
Tue Feb 2 03:35:26 EST 2021

Call: K0XP
Operator(s): K0XP
Station: K0XP

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:15

Total:  QSOs = 151  State/Prov = 44  Countries = 6  Total Score = 20,000

Could only operate later Friday night through Saturday morning, no
Saturday night operation. Zero Euros, zero Africans, zero-point-one
JAs, zero SAs heard.

Memorable moments: Beating N6AA in a minor pileup, maybe for NP2X, I
forget. Dick musta either been transmitting on his receive antenna or
was running QRPp  8-)

For the past 3 or 4 months, since before the CQWWCW, some naybore
apparently replaced their plasma TV that used to blanket most of 160
and 80 CW bands with pulsed S7 broadband trash, with something that's
even louder (10-over at its center frequency on 160 and S9 on 80m)
and more obnoxious although much narrower-band, to where I can
usually actually hear something at the very bottom or top of the 160
or 80m CW bands (it doesn't bother 40m although I can tell it's in
there). But tonight, it's covering 1792.5 to 1836.2 (I mentioned it's
narrowband, didn't I?). So I wasn't planning to operate this contest
at all, and so made other plans. However, after Friday night supper,
on a whim, I turned on the radio and hey, el presto, whaddaya know:
the naybores musta gone outta town for the night. So I settled down
to look for new 160m countries but didn't find any. In fact, I never
heard a European, African, OR JA all night/morning (other than once I
thought I heard, very weakly, JE1CKA calling someone; never did hear
JH4UYB). Even the KH6s were just barely audible. I did work RM0F very
easily early-on but was one of the VERY many who wasted precious time
calling RT0F to no avail. I wonder how many GU-84s in parallel he's
running, or what crystal rectifire he's using for his receiver?? =8-/

And I wonder what it's like to work this contest with a real 160m
antenna... ?8-/

SteveH K0XP