[SCCC] N6GP/R 50 MHz Sprint

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 15:38:05 EDT 2021

 50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2021

Call: N6GP/R
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: CA

First time up at Table Mountain in the Wrightwood Area (DM14).  Amazed how great
it worked back to the LA area.  I think a lot of my QSOs were reflections off
mounains.  Every time I turned my Moxon to what I thought was the correct
direction, my signal went down.  Worked EM36 in Missouri from there, the
Guadalajara Mexico area, and Fresno.  Had hoped for Las Vegas or Sacramento, but
did not hear any.
Went to Diamond Bar Center for DM13, and worked into Texas. Heard as far as
Tennessee.  That location works well for EM grids.
Lessons learned for June VHF:
It is a bad sign that it seems like everyone has switched over to FT8.  Only
managed 1 SSB and 1 CW QSO.  This is going to be too slow for June VHF,
especially in the first 2 hours.
Second is the traffic on the freeways.  Delays everywhere.  The lockdown is
over, and people are out and about.  In June there will likely be 2 hour gaps as
I switch grids.
Lastly, I had problems transferring my FT8 QSOs into N3FJP with JTAlert. I fixed
this Sunday morning.

See you all in the June VHF Contest, now just 4 weeks away!
Tnx & 73,
Tim N6GP/R