[SCCC] EU2000i Propane/Gas Conversion

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 00:29:27 EDT 2021

Hi, Mike.

>From research but not personal experience, gasoline has about 30% higher
energy density than propane, so the volumes needed for a given run time will
differ.  Also, propane generators reportedly do  not run so well in cold
temperatures, and below 30F the regulators can freeze up.  Gasoline units
have no such problem.

Propane is cleaner-burning, safer to store (absent tank leaks) and not
subject to degradation over time.  Leaks, though, may be hard to detect
because propane is heavier than air and sinks to the ground or into drains
where it cannot dissipate..

Peak output is about ten percent lower on propane than on gasoline, and
propane typically costs up to twice what gasoline does per kW-hour.

73,

Marty N6VI