[SCCC] SOTA with new ops Sunday AM

Drew Arnett arnett.drew at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 11:20:25 EDT 2022

Hi,

I'll be on a San Diego coastal hilltop with several new operators
tomorrow, Sunday the 27th around 1030 am local time.  Don't go out of
your way, but if you're near a radio, much appreciated if you could
listen to 146.52/.55/.58 and maybe 446 FM simplex.

We'll start with .58 if it's quiet.  If that doesn't produce, we'll go
over to .52.  If .52 is the usual crickets we'll just camp there.  If
it's busy, we'll QSY folks off the calling frequency.

I'm following up this spring's Technician license class with a series
of events to address the "I've got my license; now what?" question.
This is a mixture of presentations, Q&A, and hands-on activities.
Last week, we setup a radio and a 1/4 wave 10m whip in the parking lot
during lunch hour.  After the 9 participants all had a chance to "tune
donald duck", we found Dave N4KZ calling CQ.  The microphone was
passed around.  Dave has past mentoring experience, and he did a great
and patient job with all of the new ops.  There was some extended
chatting about EME, the Derby, and American Idol.  :-)

We'll be doing more activities over the next couple of months.  I
know, I should let them get a taste of CQ WPX this weekend.  :-)
Generating a SOTA pileup on FM should serve as an adequate gateway
drug.  :-)  I'm always surprised at how many decide to take up CW as a
result of SOTA.

Thanks and best regards and good luck to those playing in the big show
this weekend!

Drew
n7da