[SCCC] Hauling Ideas Needed

Ken Alker ka6ken at alker.net
Wed Apr 26 10:57:07 EDT 2023

A while back I removed a hy-gain HG70HD 70' motorized tower from a
residence.  I first fully nested the tower, which brought it down to 22'.
I hired a crane to lift it from the back yard and place it on a Pacific
Boat Trailers G25TW5-10 that I had borrowed.  (Stripping the tower and
preparing for transport was a two day process, summarized here in two
sentences :-).  The tower rested on the boat trailer as if the trailer was
made for carrying the tower; I was amazed and, perhaps, lucky.  I hauled
the tower home with my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel.

When I got home, I had to figure out how to get the tower off the trailer.
I backed the trailer into my dirt field where I wanted to store the tower
until the day I can put it up.  This is where improvisation began.  I had
done a ton of planning for tower removal, but hadn't thought through how I
was going to get the tower off of the trailer.

It turns out that the bottom end of the tower was hanging off the back end
of the trailer by at least a foot.  This turned out to be quite fortuitous
(as it was not planned, but should have been!).  I stacked four wooden
pallets under the bottom end of the tower that was hanging off the back of
trailer.  I then positioned my New Holland model 1920 tractor near the
front of the trailer (still hooked up to my truck).  The tractor was
perpendicular to the length of the tower and trailer.  I wrapped a chain
around the bucket of the tractor and top of the tower.  Note that I first
checked how much weight the New Holland bucket assembly could lift and it
was slightly more than half the weight of the tower, which is what I
figured I needed.  The tower weighs 1160 pounds (the trailer is 2100
pounds, not that that matters).  I lifted the top of the tower off the
trailer and the bottom of the tower (just above the pallets) made contact
with the top of the stack of pallets.  I was able to lift the top of the
tower up a few feet freeing the tower entirely from the trailer.  The tower
was then at a diagonal to the ground, the top of the tower higher than the
bottom; the bottom end now "resting" (not very securely, mind you), on the
pallets.  I then drove the trailer out from under the tower.

Next, I placed four pallets under the free end (top) of the tower and
lowered the bucket until the top of the tower was resting on the newly
placed stack of pallets.  I removed the chain and moved the tractor to the
bottom end of the tower and picked that end up in order to move the
original stack of pallets further under the tower to support it more
securely in its resting position.

I hope this helps spark some ideas.  I have pictures of the entire process,
if they are helpful to anyone.

Ken Alker (KA6KEN)

--On Tuesday, April 25, 2023 6:34 PM -0700 Steve Harrison <k0xp at k0xp.com>