[SCCC] Kalifornia Kilowatts...

Michael S. Mitchell W6RW w6rw at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 3 12:27:13 EDT 2024

This is a quote from an article written by Harvey Laidman W8DX in 1997 entitled "Riders of the Purple Ionosphere" which was an article about the history of the Southern California DX Club:

Powerful transmitting tubes were readily available surplus and no self-respecting California ham shack was without a huge cabinet adorned with meters, a big Variac, and a pair of welding cables connecting a pole pig transformer. "I had a coupl'a those big, beautiful jugs," muses Art Enockson, W6EA (then W6MUB). During the 1952 World-Wide CW DX Contest, some Owlahoot blew the whistle. The Federal Communications Commission parked a panel truck a short distance from the unsuspecting operator. After taking a field strength reading, an agent knocked on the door. If the reading in the truck changed, they knew the operator had been cheating. "I was ready for `em," said the late Roger Mace, W6RW, "it was just that I was so rattled when they came to the door, I couldn't do anything!" Mace never got over the intrusion.

DE Mike W6RW