[SD-User] SD & DOS

Henry G. Elwell, Jr. elwell@salisbury.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:40:38 -0400

    I asked the Group if anyone knew why my Up Arrow, while in DOS 6.22
and using Super Duper, would not permit the retrieval of another band
QSO, or Editing of completed QSOs.

    Paul, G3WYW replied that he thought it was a keyboard mapping
problem, and to look at my Autoexec.exe instructions.

    Paul, EI5DI, with the same idea in mind, sent me a program called
SCANCODE, which analyzes what the keyboard outputs are for each key.  He
asked me to report on the Up Arrow ASCII Code and Scan Code.  I
discovered that while in the Win ME, DOS Prompt mode, correct
information for the Up Arrow key was obtained.  There, the SD works
correctly.  When the same program was run in DOS 6.22, the Up Arrow
response was incorrect, and the problem explained in the first paragraph
resulted.

    I use an IBM keyboard called a multi media keyboard.  It has keys to
control the playing and volume of music CDs, plus a couple of other
goodies.  When I replaced that keyboard with an older AT type, the
problem was solved: SD performed as it should and the ASCII return of
the Up Arrow key was correct.

    My problem is one that few will experience until newer keyboards
such as mine when used in DOS 6.22 become more prevalent.  But not many
of you will have that combination in the future. Unless I want to switch
keyboards for contest operation, I still have to find out how to make
the IBM work properly in DOS.

    I appreciate the use of this Group for question answers, and Paul,
EI5DI, was the one that urged me to try you.  If anybody else any any
suggestions, let me know.

Vy 73 Uncle Henry

Henry G. Elwell, Jr. - N4UH

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Internet Of Salisbury, Inc.]