[SD-User] VERSION 17.35?

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sat May 10 14:22:53 EDT 2014

On 10/05/2014 18:00, Sandro i7ale wrote:

> I had the same problem: " 'Setup' stops with message Error - Delete
> File failed. Code 5. Access Denied" when trying to dowload and set-up
> the version 17.33 (which I could not indeed install).
>
> After reading the suggestion from EI5DI, to Brian 5B4AIZ, I tried to
> download the version 17.36 and again the problem was there. So I
> deleted the SD.EXE and SDCHECK.EXE and tried again. All was ok and the
> new version has been perfectly installed, five minutes ago.

I've not seen this error message myself, although that
may be because I usually have no need to download SD
from the website.

However, I've investigated it further, and an installation
will fail, with this error message, if SD is running at the
time of installation.  This error report is generated by
Inno Setup, SD's installation program.  What it means is
that something on the user's computer was somehow accessing,
or was linked to, the existing SD.EXE - and the setup
program could not replace it with the new SD.EXE.

I tested this myself by trying to install SD from the
website while SD was running and, sure enough, it failed.
There may be other reasons for an installation to fail,
but it does not indicate a bug, or lack of testing, in SD.

Here's an example of where the same issue has caused
problems for other software developers.  As they say,
"This whole issue is giving a very bad impression on us,
even though we are not causing this issue."

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7649227e-7226-489a-b7df-75660f1d5e91/replace-file-issue

> BUT, it is the 17.35 and not the version 17.36 as announced.

Thanks - that's my mistake, and the correct version is now
on the website.  There's no need to download it unless the
following changes (in V17.36) are significant.

CQ-M Contest:
     Fixed all scoring options.  Previously it was
     correct only for non-Russian entrants in EU or
     AS.

UKEICC 80m Contests:
     Added support for the proposed events.

73,