[SD-User] SD and IC7400 compatiblity with CT-17

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Wed Jul 29 07:12:40 EDT 2020

The USB-17 cable referred to serves only for rig control.  It's a
perfectly good option for rig control but will not faciltate CW keying
on the IC7400, because that rig does not support a text to CW feature.

CW keying is entirely separate from rig control - you can have either or
both.  For keying, the options are SD's internal keyer, or an external
keyer such as WinKey or the microHAM CW Keyer.  With SD's internal
keyer, smooth CW cannot be guaranteed (but it may be OK) because of
interruptions from Windows.  To use SD's internal  keyer, refer to CW
KEYING on page 6 of the manual SD.PDF - it requires a USB to serial
converter (for PCs with USB outputs) and a simple 1-transisitor/resistor
level converter as described.

WinKeyer USB is, by far, the simplest keying solution- it is supported
by all logging programs.  The UK distributor is Kanga UK
https://www.kanga-products.co.uk/ but they seem to be closed at
present.  Here's the USA site - https://www.k1elsystems.com/WKUSBX.html
or https://www.k1elsystems.com/WKmini.html

I don't recommend the microHAM CW keyer because it uses a separate
control program for setting parameters, and it does not recognise some
of SD's relevant setup commands. However, it has the big advantage of
supporting both rig-control and CW keying in a single unit -
https://www.microham.com/contents/en-us/d22_CK.html

73,
Paul EI5DI