[SECC] Power level for NAQP?

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:20:26 -0400

I think the 150 watt power level is a historical artifact from
the era of rigs with two 6146 finals which could put out as much
as 125 watts on some bands.

Today, the FT1000 (plain and "D"), IC-781, JRC245 and the new
FT1000 Mark V all are 150 or 200 watt radios.

The rules were re-written to restore the original intent of the
NAQP as a "barefoot rig" contest. The new rules clearly say "no
amps" but are carefully written to allow unique situations like
an external 100 watt PA for a QRP rig.

Joe, Ben et al -- It is my experience that cheap wattmeters are most
often overly generous!  I was quite amazed to see the difference
after I finally bought a Bird 43.  The internal wattmeter in my old
rig said 100 watts, but was only about 80-85 watts. An RF detector
measurement of voltage at the dummy load confirmed that the Bird
meter was right.

Gary

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html