[SECC] K9AY ARRL 10M QRP CW

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:02:10 -0500

Hi guys...

I worked harder and spent more time than I had planned, but not
quite a full-time effort.

73, Gary
K9AY

K9AY -- QRP/CW only -- Approx. 19 hours operating time

551 QSOs / 2208 QSO points (one "/N" 8 point QSO)
55 States & Provinces + 72 Countries = 127 mults

280,416 points

Rig: ICOM 765 (used 1 radio) + X9 @ 65 ft.

Lots of good DX, but hard to work US without any E-skip.  Backscatter
with QRP is a challenge!  Heard but missed VE2, VE9, KS, RI.

Got home from a trip late Friday. Set up the computer, turned on the
radio and set the power knob to 5W -- worked W4AN and K4AB for QSOs #1
and #2 and went to bed. Got up Saturday an hour before sunrise and
decided the band was good enough to stay QRP. On Sunday I found Don W4OC
on backscatter for my only SC. Also worked SECCers W4WA, K4EA and W4KZ.
Heard K4BAI, W4NTI, AA4NN and maybe some other members, but no QSOs.

Got VR2BG and BD4ED in the last 1/2 hour for a nice finish. BD4ED was
not hearing well, but I got through at the peak of the opening. The
gray line path to JA and the Far East was fairly short, but very strong.
35 JAs were logged; even got a few while CQing.

Despite the good condx, could not get runs going to EU. Tried several
times, but would only get 5 or 8 QSOs before being run off the freq
or getting no more answers for several minutes (S&P is better at that
point).  Sunday a.m. I did hold on to 28054 for about 40 minutes and
was called by 4X1KS, T91ESP and KH8/N5OLS for new mults -- was KH8 via
long path or off the back of the X9? Also worked RW1ZA over the pole
Sunday at 2140 with a huge signal and few callers. Spotlight propagation,
I guess.

Continent breakdown:

NA - 199
SA - 30